Take a Stand, Straighten-up Your Day
Exercises to Fix Your Posture
These days most of us spend too much time hunched over computers and looking down at handheld devices. The results …rounded shoulders, tight chest muscles, and rounded backs.
Try these exercises to straighten up and fly right!
- Start in a face down/prone position on a mat, elbows bent, and your forehead resting on hands.
- Stabilize your core by drawing your belly button toward your spine.
- Extend your spine and lift your chest off the mat while reaching your arms forward.
- Maintain a neutral neck position, keeping your ears between your biceps, and your shoulder blades retracted and away from your ears.
- Breast stroke by circling your arms to your hips while lifting your chest slightly higher; return to the start position.
- Perform 2–3 sets or 8–12 repetitions.
Wall Sit with Snow Angel Arms
- Sit cross legged with your back up
against a wall.
- Pull up from pelvic floor, lifting your
ribs away from hips to grow taller; lift your chest and roll your shoulders back and down.
- Aim to have three points of the spine in contact with the wall (head, shoulders, and tail bone).
- Reach your arms out overhead, with your palms touching. Draw your elbows back to touch the wall.
- Close your eyes and allow your breath to be your guide.
- Perform snow-angel arms 4-8 times.