Weight Loss Programs
Whether you have five pounds or over 500 pounds to lose, we have something for you. We offer several different weight management programs: Full Fasting, Partial Fasting, Full Food, a Teen Program, and programs in Spanish, as well.
Fasting for Health …
Full, Modified or Partial FASTING PROGRAMS
In the Medically Supervised Weight Programs you use meal replacements to help you lose weight. The replacements provide complete and balanced nutrition: essential protein, vitamins, minerals, and fats. They help maintain a constant calorie level and curb appetite. Combined with a medically supervised program, average rates of weight loss vary between 2 and 5 pounds a week.
The Full Fast is five meal replacements daily and no added food, the Modified Fast includes five daily meal replacements and approximately 200 calories of food, and the Partial Fast includes four meal replacements a day and 400-600 calories of food.
There are many health benefits when you allow your body to “rest” from food for awhile. In as little as 4-8 weeks on a Full or Modified Full Fast…
- 75% people with type-2-diabetes achieve normal fasting blood glucose off medications
- HbA1c drops an average of 2 points
- Insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance increases
- Liver enzymes normalize
- Fat in the liver and pancreas decrease
- Blood Pressure decreases (1/3 are able to discontinue medications, 1/3 are able to greatly reduce medication)
- Total Blood Cholesterol drops an average of 81 points and triglycerides drop 55.6%
8 weeks and beyond…average weight loss is 15% from starting weight and 5 years after weight loss, 2/3 or more people maintain half or more of weight they lost off.
The Full or Modified Fast is recommended for people with chronic medical conditions like type 2 diabetes, elevated blood lipids, hypertension, fatty liver disease, NASH, heart disease, etc. The Full Fast may provide an extra protective factor against diabetes even if weight is regained, making it a particularly good choice for people with diabetes. Similar health benefits can be achieved using a Partial Fast. However, it takes more time and the outcomes for diabetes are not as good. A Partial Fast is not recommended program for people with diabetes.
The meal replacements are a great tool for weight loss, but they aren’t a solution to long-term weight maintenance by themselves.
Long-term success includes several factors…
- A whole foods, mostly plant-based food plan
- An awareness of daily food intake (food records, trackers, etc.)
- An active lifestyle and/or consistent fitness routine
- Long-term encouraging and non-judgmental support
- The opportunity to develop life skills to cope with life rather than overeating in response
During the weight loss phase, you attend weekly group sessions that focus on topics like becoming aware of and dealing with uncomfortable emotions, adjusting self talk, building self esteem, enhancing communication skills, stress management, etc. After the weight loss phase the maintenance program continues to help you develop and strengthen the skills you need to maintain the weight you’ve lost. The program focuses on nutrition, behavior modification, mindfulness, label reading, and fitness. We know that for you to be successful long-term, you need support.
Once you complete a maintenance program, we offer unlimited, support classes that you may attend on a weekly or monthly basis at no additional cost to you.
- Download Adult Program details and fees here: 2018 Weight Program Booklet
- Download Teen Program (14-19 year-old’s) details and fees here: Teen Weight Program
- Download Spanish Program details and fees here: Spanish Weight Program
Healthy Balance Program
In this program you are encouraged to eat high fiber, nutrient dense foods. Typical weight loss is one to two pounds a week. The Full Food Healthy Balance Program is a 16-session program that helps you set goals and stick with them. The weekly (1½ hr.) group meetings include mindful eating exercises, stress management, behavior modification, and strength/flexibility training. Programs are available at the following Kaiser Permanente medical office buildings: San Marcos, Oceanside, Clairemont Mesa, Otay Mesa, Viewridge (next to the new hospital on Clairemont Mesa Blvd and I 15), and La Mesa medical office buildings.
- 16-session program: No fee for Kaiser Permanente Members, $160 for non-members.
SOLUTIONS – FOOD ADDICTION RECOVERY
Solutions is a 12-session program covering all topics regarding food addiction and compulsive overeating. Available on Mondays at 6:15 pm, Wednesday mornings at 9:30 a.m, and Wednesdays at 4:30 pm (next class start is 8-29-2018).
- Understanding the addiction process
- Brain chemistry, Dopamine and Serotonin
- Relapse management planning and wellness plans
- Moderation vs. addiction
- Emotional intelligence, needs, and values
- Cognitive Distortions
- Comfort Zones and Deciding to Change
- Defense Mechanisms
- And much more!
$420 — Call Heather Glover, MA, LMFT at 858-966-1628 for more information regarding Solutions or to enroll in the Food Addiction Recovery Program.