Nutrition and Healthy Eating
At Kaiser Permanente’s Positive Choice Integrative Wellness Center we offer a variety of nutrition services that are designed to help you achieve optimal nutrition status, increase vitality, and improve health.
The corner stone of healthy living is providing your body with the nutrients needed for optimum performance. Low energy, fatigue, mood swings, and illness are symptoms of improper nutrition. Our nutrition services can help you to learn how to balance protein, carbohydrate and fat intake in ways to help curb appetite and renew physical strength. You will learn the importance of phyto-nutritients, vitamins and minerals, and how to ensure proper nutrition intake in your diet. We provide nutrition strategies for weight loss, maintenance, athletic performance and health recovery.
Benefits to eating nutritious foods.
- Sustained energy level throughout your day and increased stamina.
- Strengthens your immune system which helps you to avoid illness, fight infection, and recover more quickly from illness or injury.
- Stabilize mood and curb appetite.
- Antioxidants in fruits and vegetables protect your body from pollutants in the environment and sun damage.
- Prevent and recover from chronic diseases, such as type-2 diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, metabolic syndrome, and arthritis.
- Improve your mental and emotional health, including the treatment and prevention of anxiety and depression.
Learn more about our nutrition programs and services.
NUTRITION AND FITNESS FORUM
The Positive Choice Integrative Wellness Center offers FREE counseling on exercise, diet, nutrition and weight management called Nutrition/Fitness Forum Sessions. Appointments are not necessary. Walk-ins are welcome. Please come only at times listed below.
The Positive Choice Integrative Wellness Center: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday: 5 to 5:30 pm; Tuesdays: 11:45 am to 12:15 pm, Room 7
San Marcos Medical Office: 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month: 6 to 6:30 p.m., Room C
Otay Mesa Medical Office: Mondays: 5 to 5:30 p.m., Room 3
HOLISTIC, PLANT-BASED COOKING CLASSES
In our Healthy Cooking Classes our nutritionists and dietitians will show you how to prepare a variety of plant-based dishes, all of which are centered on improving your overall health. You’ll taste samples, and go home full, with recipes, shopping strategies, and cooking techniques that you can start using immediately. In addition to your cooking class, your class fee gives you access to an exclusive holistic nutrition webinar that you may view online at your convenience. These webinars will provide additional background on the science behind the foods you will be cooking with and how these foods help your body to heal and stay well.
- Each class is $45 Click Here for cooking class schedule
EXERCISE AND NUTRITION CONSULTATIONS
When you want an individualized exercise and nutrition plan to address specific health goals, and advice on how to implement the plan, then one of our Exercise and Nutrition Consults may be what you need to achieve your healthy goals. Meet with exercise physiologists or dietitians that will help design a plan to meet your specific goals.
- 30-minute appointment: $55
- 60-minute appointment: $95
H.E.A.T. is a personalized program that begins with a one-hour one-on-one appointment with an exercise and nutrition specialist and includes assessments of percent body fat, cardiovascular fitness, flexibility, and muscular strength. This assessment is followed by four individual exercise and nutrition training sessions with your specialist working on your specific fitness and weight management goals. Additionally, you have the option of using up to two meal replacement supplements per day to facilitate weight loss (additional fees apply for meal replacements).
- Five-session Individual Appointments: $425
SOLUTIONS – FOOD ADDICTION RECOVERY
Solutions is a 12-session program covering all topics regarding food addiction and compulsive overeating. Available on Mondays at 6:15 pm or Wednesdays at 4:30 pm. Learn about:
- Understanding the addiction process
- Brain chemistry, Dopamine and Serotonin
- Relapse management planning and wellness plans
- Moderation vs. addiction
- Emotional intelligence, needs, and values
- Cognitive Distortions
- Comfort Zones and Deciding to Change
- Defense Mechanisms
- And much more!
Call Heather Glover, MA, LMFT at 858-966-1628 for more information or to enroll.
SECA – MEDICAL BODY COMPOSITION ANALYSIS
The Positive Choice Integrative Wellness Center has one of the most sophisticated body analysis machines available on the market today. Much more than just a body fat measurement, the SECA Body Composition Analyzer measures body composition using many frequencies of electro-magnetic waves that allow for accurate body composition measurement equal in accuracy to the gold standards of DEXA, hydrostatic weighing, and the Bod Pod – air displacement. The best part is you don’t have to undress and the test takes only 20 seconds. In addition to determining with accuracy your muscle mass, body fat, and body water composition, the SECA analyzer can also tell you information about the strength in each of your limbs, whether the fluid in your body is in or outside your cells (hydration v.s. water retention), accurately estimates daily caloric needs, and gives a measure on overall cell health – a strong indicator of health status.
- Basic Analysis: Includes measurement of fat mass, lean body mass, body fluid balance and explanation: $55
- Comprehensive Analysis: Includes fat mass, lean body mass, fluid balance, energy needs, cellular health and consultation on improving/maintaining health status: $95